Thursday 15 September 2011

DDD Footage at N3DS Conference - 12 September 2011

Annoyance abound. I was writing up an in-depth spiel about a small 20-second incredibly blurry video of gameplay in Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance from Nintendo's 3DS Conference on Monday but I took too long and now it's Thursday and TGS has started and has made my spiel fairly redundant seeing as it has proved me wrong about various things. -_-" Sigh. Imma just plonk the video here, coupla screenshots maybe, and synopsise my mistakes. Cool beans.


(Thank you to KH13.com for the vid! Here's the YouTube link: less blur-tastic.) So, yeah. Pretty gosh darn awesome, if I do say so myself. It's far too fast for me to do a proper in-depth step-by-step analysis, so. Also, I have no clue what's going on half the time.

Soo, I thought the party members on the right hand side were Donald and Goofy, but now it's looking like they'll be enemy-but-also-ally-things. Yeah. I'll be putting up another post shortly after giving all the TGS junk in a while, so I'll elaborate there.

You may also have noticed that the Drop gauge shown in the January trailer underneath Sora's icon is gone.


Instead, it appears to have been relocated to under the party member things.


(I love the contrast in quality between the two screenshots...) Curious. Maybe Sora now saps energy from his new frienemies? Different 'Drop' from different creatures activates different abilities? Ooh, OR this could be what the tagline is about: 'Darkness becomes Light, Light falls to Darkness' or whatever. Maybe you have to convert enemies to light, per se, thus getting their powers. But if you abuse this ability (or some other condition), Sora/Riku get weaker as they fall to darkness. Or something. Whatevs.

Now, something else kinda hard to see due to the quality is that Sora's rockin' some new threads! Tetsuya Nomura (game director/excellent mind-screwer) said something back in January about Sora and Riku changing outfits so that people won't mistake this game for a remake, but I thought he meant have them change from KHII to KHI outfits. But no, new duds abound.


(Click for a bigger one.) Fairly swanktastic, wouldn't you agree? Predominantly red pants, black jacket, what appears to be the same yellow shoes from KHI... Seems like a hybrid between his KHI and II clothes. Now, of particular note is the last pic.


You can see that there's something white on his otherwise black jacket. Just what it is? Can't tell. However, I'd be willing to wager it's some kinda symbol or emblem. Which one? I'd also be betting on it being one of the new symbols from the DDD website.


While gambling on the many different aspects of Sora's jacket, I'd put some money down on the symbol being the one in the top left corner. Sora strikes me as more of a 'curvy' kinda guy whereas Riku would prolly be more 'spiky'. So, yeah. I think they're both getting symbols. Someone on KHInsider Forums suggested that Sora and his allies would share one symbol while Riku and his buds get the other. Riku's companions would be Sora's enemies and vice versa. Like, Riku chillax's with the cool dark kids while Sora hangs out with light folk or something. Definitely possible at this point.

Hmm, what else...? Oh, new areas of Traverse Town! GET IN. Toward the end of the trailer, you can see Sora flying through completely new parts of Traverse Town. 'Twill be awesome, no doubt. 'Cause Traverse Town is awesome. So, going by that logic, an expanded Traverse Town will be at least super special awesome. And some updated awesome music would be bliss~ Speaking of aural pleasure, I love the little 'pop' noise as Sora jumps at 00.17-ish.

Also, gameplay looks frantic and fun and amazing and wonderful. Me like the colours. :D Especially the Attack command, how it goes from red to green to pink... Simply bootiful. No idea what each colour represents though, mind. Seems like red for plain ol' Attack, pink for zipping around the gaff in an assortment of colour and awesome, but still no clue what green means. Hmm. Oh, and Sora used to have a gold aura about him while jumping around the place in the January trailer. Guess they changed it to silvery-purpley-bluey... Something not-gold, in any case.

Oh, also worth noting, first glimpse of new enemies! SCORE.


It appears to be a...blue panda of sorts. Right. If I had to pick a similar brand of enemy, it'd be the Unversed. Heartless have yellow eyes while Nobodies have either no eyes or normal human eyes. This guy has red eyes, though unlike Unversed they're not expressing happiness, sadness or anger. It's also colourful, like many Unversed. But it's not an Unversed. New enemy. ...Just making that clear. Oh, before I forget; the panda's stomach seems to have something on it. Could be one of the new emblems from the site. Or just a design feature. *shrugs*

Other important things... Sora's HP bar seems to be more yellow than green, while the party members' are the appropriate hue. I'm not sure if it's just the blurriness or if it's intentional and actually a very important plot point. Meh.

Last bit: on Nintendo Japan's website, they have confirmed the first coupla games to be compatible with their newfangled Slide Pad (essentially a second analogue cradle yoke). Of relevance is, you guessed it, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. The device will cost 1,500 Yen ($19/€14/£12-ish) and hits Japan on the 10th December. It will run on one AAA battery, therefore won't deplete the 3DS's already admittedly awful battery life. NOW FOR SOME PICTURES. :D






(Thank you, Nintendo 3DS Blog!) I'll admit it, I was one of the first to condemn this monstrosity when the first Famitsu scan went out making it seem uncomfortable and clunk-tastic. But then these pics came out and I saw that it actually looked fairly damn ergonomic and came with an R1, R2 and L2 (the R1 because you can't reach the original R). I still stand by my original thought that it should be free for people who already have a 3DS, but it's definitely growing on me now... Dammit. Hopefully this'll fix KH's track record of not haing the most, eh, graceful camera on handhelds. Hmm. Ugh, I'm gonna have to splash out on this, huh?


~~~


Far more pretty pictures in this post than any other I've done. Fancy that. I just learnt how to use 'Print Screen' recently and I guess I wanted to show off my mediocre computer skillz. Zetta fun times. I do not say 'zetta' often enough... I should work on that.

I got my Junior Cert results yesterday, by the by. (Exams in Ireland for 3rd Year ('bout 15-16 years of age). Teachers rabbit on about it for three years but the second you hand up your last paper they're all 'Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, it's not really important. At all. Like not even a little bit. Have fun in Leaving Cert in a coupla years, the one that's actually kinda important!' -_-") Did quite well too, if I do say so myself. And I do. :D But this past week I've been more excited about KH, to be perfectly honest...

Ugh, guess it's time to start on my TGS post. Not sure whether to have four seperate posts for each day or keep it all together... Meh. That's an issue for later.

Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment